Are you thinking about getting a new instrument? And if that instrument is a handpan, you should know certain things before proceeding. Whenever we think about buying something, the first thing that comes to our mind is its price. If we start comparing the cost of handpan instruments with other handmade musical instruments, we can see that their rate is not very expensive. A handpan is very hard to find, so check the quality before buying it.
When you go for buying a handpan, you have to trust five things:
Why trust these five things?
You need to trust your ears because they will help you understand whether your handpan sounds soothing and is of top quality. Trust your head by doing a little research on signs of a quality handpan—for example, Sustainable, the Absence of cross-talk, etc. Trust your hands by checking if your hands feel comfortable and find it easy to play because a suitable handpan must not be much complicated.
Note down what you expect from your handpan and list your needs. While choosing a handpan, give attention to that list. Do not ignore your intuitions, and before buying a handpan clear all your doubts. A deal should not feel suspicious.
Choose the right material for your handpan instrument
To choose the right one, you have to know the perks of handpans made of each material:
- A handpan instrumentmade of raw steel is very cost-effective, but we cannot ignore that it can rust easily.
- Handpans coated with steel are lightweight, so you can carry them easily, and they are cost-effective, although they lack dynamic range.
- Handpan made of nitrided steel is anti-trust because it is treated, but they are tough to maintain.
- Stainless steel handpans are not prone to surface damage and are anti-rust, but people find working with them harder.
- Ember steels are stainless so keep your handpan clean.
Now, which one is the most suitable depends on how you will use it and what kind of player you are.
Size of a handpan instrument matters
Every handpan instrument has a different size, so wisely choose the one for you. If you are looking for a comfortable and easy-to-play handpan, instrument size will matter a lot.
- If you want a handpan instrument with more notes, your handpan must be bigger. Also, the quality of sound varies a lot according to its size.
- The smaller the handpan higher the scales.
- For a child, a smaller handpan is preferable.
- If you want to travel with it, try going for a smaller size.
So, what are you waiting for? Get your first handpan instrument right now!